You have a gift you can give everyone you meet. You can give it to people who only talk to you on the telephone and the Internet. It is part of the universal language and is understood in every culture across the globe, bar none. It is a gift you can give yourself. And you should. Best of all… it is free. Are you ready to Make A Difference?
Can you think of something women do more than men? Well, yes, but the answer to this particular question is not shopping. Women exhibit the universal expression of happiness more than men.
The smile is recognized in every language. It is the sign of happiness. People who smile are considered more attractive, sociable, positive, sincere, pleasant and receptive than those with an upside down one.
Science has established women are healthier than men. What are the chances that has something to do with smiling more? How about some facts?
- Smiling (and seeing someone else smile) releases endorphins. (They signal well-being to your brain.)
- Happy people get sick less often than unhappy people.
- Positive thinking is good for your mental health.
Can you at least manage a hint of a smile?
Oh, yes you can!
Everyone can smile. You were born with the ability.
In utero, babies will smile for the sonographer. Babies born blind smile! They are not imitating anyone. They are happy.
Laughter is good medicine. You cannot laugh without smiling. Giggles. Guffaws. Chuckles. Chortles. Roaring. Tittering. Snickering. Hee-hawing. Cackling. All of them.
Are you an average laugher? Average adults laugh about 15 times per day. All those silly things on your social media and in the blogosphere are good for you.
Children corner the market on laughter. An average child laughs around 400 times a day. Some children laugh more than they speak.
Lazy? And cheap?
Smiling is just the thing for you. It takes 17 muscles to smile. It takes 43 to frown. You may not be burning as many calories, but you are raising your metabolism…which is better!
This is the gift which costs absolutely nothing!
You look marvelous!
None of this ugly smile business. Smiles are great even with missing teeth. A smile brightens your face and relaxes muscles which cause wrinkles in your forehead. Even if you do not show those pearly (almost) whites, turn up the corners of your mouth!
Are you ready for your MAD mission this week? Start today, but keep track tomorrow!
1. Start your day with a smile. Smile at yourself in the mirror. It may even make you laugh to see yourself smile with a mouth full of toothpaste foam.
2. Smile at everyone. Walking on the sidewalk. In traffic. On the job. At the store. On the telephone. While you type on social media.
3. Keep track. Carry a note with a smiley on it. Mark down a hash mark every time you smile and laugh.
4. Need help? If you are having trouble smiling, try some of these suggestions.
- Shake your body all over like it is laughing from the inside…or you have fleas.
- Jump on the bed.
- Hug someone you love.
- Use a funny voice.
- Put on a party hat.
- Play with your food.
- Make faces at your reflection.
- Play with a pet. (With permission please. Trespassing is a bad idea.)
5. Smile at the results. At the end of the day, think about how differently people reacted to you. How many smiles did you get back?
Make a Difference
Someone you meet will spend all day without a smile if you do not give them one. It costs nothing. It makes you feel better. It makes everyone else feel better.
Smiling leads to happiness.
Happiness leads to better health, physically and mentally.
Happiness leads to smiling.
My kind of vicious circle! If you are happy… Smile! If you are unhappy… Smile anyway! Smiling makes you happy.
Have you smiled today? Did someone smile at you? Tell me a joke. Make me smile!
(c) Ann Marie Dwyer (2012)
Re-Blogging of this or any other post on Momma’s Money Matters is expressly forbidden.
Spread the Love!